Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Tumbler Adventure


  Now that I have my Accuquilt GO! cutter, I started making kits.  I thought I'd make one of the kits to show how I did it.  It took me about 5 to 6 hours, so you could get it done in a day, if your a weirdo like me.  It's a nice easy project, perfect for beginner quilters, and it looks awesome when it's done.  This is sure to impress your friends.



  My kit had 10 different fabrics making up 121 tumblers.  For this project I had 5 flower designed fabrics and 5 polka dot/stripe fabrics.  This is good to get a good pattern going. I laid my fabrics out in the order that I thought the design should go... The quilt would be 11 tumblers across and 11 tumblers down.

 
This is the pattern that came with my tumbler die.  
 
 
Since I was using more than 2 fabrics I made a template for my throw quilt using 10 fabrics.  I assigned each fabric a letter, now I would have something to refer to.         
 
  If you want you can layout the tumbler shapes in 11 rows of 11 shapes (if you have room). Alternate the wide and narrow ends of the tumblers so they lay in a straight line.  Since I couldn't leave my quilt laying out for my daughter to throw around I just sewed according to the diagram.  A color picture is always nice to go by too.  Wherever possible I tried to look for pairs instead of going row by row, this way I could do some bulk sewing to cut down on time.  I started out by placing the tumblers beside my machine, then began to sew...A to B (x11), C to D (x11), and so on.

 
  Before I sewed each one I'd lay it out in front of me to make sure I was sewing it together properly. 
 
 
Another nice thing about the Accuquilt cutter is that it cuts the corners for you.  The notched corners should always line up.
 
 
 
  So I would just put each pair through the machine right after one another.  You end up with quite a pile but there's a lot less strings everywhere. 


 
  I ended up with 5 piles of 11, along with a pile of singles (2 of the green or A fabric)
 

 
 
      I laid the fabric out again, and continued on according to my diagram or pattern.  Again always looking for groups so I could sew in bulk.  This time AB could be sewn to CD 9 times, same with EF being sewn to GH.


 
Then I continued with IJ  being sewn to ABCD and EFGH according to the diagram.

 
I then laid all of my sewn runs on the floor and filled in the rest.  When your rows have been sewn together you iron them in alternating directions, to make matching up intersections easier.
 


   Now it was time to sew my rows together.  I went along and pinned each row to the one above it.


    It's important to get the intersections to line up nice.  To do this you snug together the iron folds, that's why it was important to iron the rows in alternating directions.

 
It usually turns out pretty accurate.

 
Then you just continue on, until all your rows are sewn together.

 
 
Just iron and there you go! A completed quilt top for a cozy throw.  It turned out to be approximately 50" x 66". 

 
Now off to Over the Top Quilt and Design to finish it.
 

 
 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment