I found some beautiful poinsettia fabric at Joann Fabric and add along fabric from the same line to work as backing and binding. I made sure I got 6 repeats+, I ended up buying 2.4 yards of the poinsettia and 2 yards of backing.
Then found a reference point. (Sorry if you can't see my dinky arrow)
I moved my ruler along the fabric finding the reference point and cutting until I had 6 pieces of fabric cut.
I then ironed out the crease and carefully laid the fabric one on top of the other lining up the pattern.
I don't pin because I haven't had great results with it instead I cut a couple strips then re-adjust and trim if needed. It worked out really well. I cut 3" strips.
I sew 2 sets of 2 together and set two aside.
After I get quite a few through my machine I take them off and organize them into the right pile.
Then I add my third triangle.
Since I just run a whole bunch through my machine at once it works out good because there all connected.
When I cut them apart I keep the pairs connected.
This is all about being organized, it is easy to get things mixed up so anything I can do to ease my frustration I do. I would also recommend only starting what you can finish in one sitting.
You could also just do each kaleidoscope at a time... but then you got so many strings always taking the sewn pieces off the machine... But I'm sure there is a million ways of doing it this is just mine.
Now that I have my piles of sewn together sets of three I go to the ironing board. This is where I cut them apart and stack them neatly.
Design wall time... I lay my pieces out on the wall, which is an ugly flannel sheet pinned to the wall. (The fabric sticks to it, somehow) It is quite a busy design but very beautiful.
Since my fabric is already sewn into threes it doesn't take long to finish the job. Row by row I sew them together. Not all my centers match up but your dealing with a lot of triangles!
Next I was off to top stitch them. I was excited to use some of the Christmas designs we have. On one I did poinsettias to match the fabric and on the other a holly design. I did end up taking the time to do the crazy binding. For a great tutorial on how to bind 120 degree angles click here. Using the red binding really frames it out nicely and finishes it off. Finished they are 14.5" x 49" with a couple hexagons left over.