I started with stargazers solar system fabric from fabric.com.
Here are some pictures of my process...
I layer 6 repeats (as close as I can get to perfect) on top of each other. For this quilt I cut 3.5" strips then cut them into equilateral triangles.
Just taking a peak at some of the designs
I sew them into groups of three, so they are easier to keep track of. Now I'm ready to put them up on my design wall.
Here are all the triangles.
After some trial and error you get a design you like. Above is my first attempt. Below is my second overall design attempt. I say that because I went back and forth with the customer to get this one just right for her liking.
Pretty dang cool!
This quilt ended up being around 85" x 100" perfect for a double bed. I had enough fabric for the front of the quilt, a sham, a bit for the back as a picture window of what the fabric looked like originally and binding. For the borders I didn't want to take away from the middle, I used black and coordinating strips of batik fabric. Making the hexes pop out into the border is way harder then it looks by the way!
Top stitching will be another adventure all on it's own. Wish me luck!